1. IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Members are encouraged to install GOM or HOLA or TUNNELBEAR for an added layer of protection.

The SEX forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Red Devils 2017-2018

Discussion in 'Sports/Games/Hobbies' started by yinyang, Jul 5, 2017.

1. yinyang

yinyang Alfrescian (Inf)

2. yinyang

yinyang Alfrescian (Inf)

3. yinyang

yinyang Alfrescian (Inf)

How, tonight away to Geordies? :cool:

TEAM NEWS
    Newcastle loan signing Islam Slimani is struggling to shake off a thigh injury and will face a fitness test ahead of Sunday's game.

Central defender Ciaran Clark has recovered from a minor knee issue and should retain his place in the side.

Manchester United have no fresh injury concerns ahead of this clash.

Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic has returned to training but will not be considered, while Eric Bailly and Marouane Fellaini are long-term absentees.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES
    Guy Mowbray: "It's Rafa v Jose, it's Newcastle v Manchester United - but it doesn't feel like one of the classic clashes of yesteryear.

"Benitez is at the other end of the table from Mourinho, and too preoccupied with keeping the Toon up to be concerned with his bitter rival from Liverpool-Chelsea battles and beyond (it even became a family affair!).

"It's nice to think that he'll see this as a 'free hit' and send a side out to attack a la the cavalier Kevin Keegan days and the famous 5-0…but he can't and won't.

"One point could be a precious one, if never, ever, a 'special one'."

Twitter: @Guymowbray

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY
    Newcastle United manager Rafa Benitez: "We have the same problems as the other teams in the bottom half. You have so many good teams at the top. One bad result can change everything.

"We have to stay calm and be stronger with the new additions."

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho: "I like to go there and like the feeling of going to Mr [Bobby] Robson's home. I like the stadium, I think it's really nice, and the atmosphere. They are good and enthusiastic. I like the Geordies.

"I lost and drew a few times. I hope the result is different but I know the characteristics of the game are not going to be different.

"They had a very good transfer window with Kenedy and Islam Slimani [arriving]. They are two players I know very well and they can really improve their team. Rafael Benitez knows how to get points, so I think it will be a difficult game."

LAWRO'S PREDICTION
    Newcastle have not won at home in the league since October and this fixture is not exactly helpful when it comes to them trying to improve on that poor run at St James' Park.

Islam Slimani could make his debut and should give Newcastle more of a focal point in attack, but I just think we might see a classic Rafa Benitez performance at home against a top-six team - which is a bit like parking 10 buses, not just one.

Prediction: 0-2

MATCH FACTS
    Head-to-head
    • Newcastle have won just twice in 28 Premier League meetings, most recently at home in 2012 (D7, L19).
    • The Red Devils have won nine of their last 13 league visits to St. James' Park (D3, L1).
    • Newcastle have conceded 92 Premier League goals against Manchester United, more than against any other club.
    Newcastle United
    • Newcastle haven't won in eight Premier League games at St James' Park, their second-longest run without a home victory in the Premier League (D3, L5).
    • However, their only league defeat in six games came at leaders Manchester City (W1, D4).
    • They've failed to beat any side who go into the weekend in the top half of the table this season (D2, L10).
    • They are only one point better off than at this stage in the 2015-16 season, which ended in relegation.
    Manchester United
    • Manchester United have kept clean sheets in five of their last six Premier League games. Their season's tally of 15 clean sheets is the most in the division.
    • United have lost just once in 10 top-flight outings (W6, D3). However, that defeat came in their last away game at Tottenham.
    • Jose Mourinho has never won a Premier League match at St James' Park (D3, L3).
    • Romelu Lukaku averages a goal or assist every 65 minutes against Newcastle in the Premier League, with six goals and four assists in 651 minutes.
    • Alexis Sanchez has eight goals in his last 10 Premier League games against newly-promoted sides.
    • However, Sanchez has played four Premier League games against Newcastle without scoring.
    SAM's verdict
    Most probable score: 0-1 Probability of draw: 24%
    Probability of home win: 19% Probability of away win: 57%

SAM (Sports Analytics Machine) is a super-computer created by @ProfIanMcHale at the University of Liverpool that is used to predict the outcome of football matches.

4. yinyang

yinyang Alfrescian (Inf)

Risk assessment for Red Devils
    _99972403_luk.jpg Can Romelu Lukaku help Jose Mourinho become the first manager to win the European Cup with three clubs?

Manchester United
    Last-16 opponents: Sevilla (Spain) - Wednesday, 21 February (a); Tuesday, 13 March (h)

2017-18 Champions League group stage:

Group A
    Team P W D L GD Pts
    Man Utd 6 5 0 1 9 15
    FC Basel 6 4 0 2 6 12
    CSKA Moscow 6 3 0 3 -2 9
    Benfica 6 0 0 6 -13 0

Phil McNulty's verdict: Jose Mourinho has effectively conceded the Premier League title to Manchester City - which might just make his focus on a competition he relishes even more intense.

Mourinho completed phase one of United's European rehabilitation by winning the Europa League in 2017 to guarantee entry into the top tier this year, and qualification for the knockout stage was relatively untroubled.

The Portuguese always has an eye on history, and he is attempting to become the first manager to win the Champions League with three different clubs after triumphs with Porto in 2004 and Inter Milan six years later.

Sevilla demonstrated their threat with that stirring comeback from 3-0 down against Liverpool to get a draw but they won only two of their six group games this season, the least among the 16 teams left in the competition.

Wissam Ben Yedder will be the danger, having scored 50% of Sevilla's 12 goals in this season's Champions League. Only Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo has a greater proportion of his side's goals (53%).

United, however, will find their Champions League hand greatly strengthened by the arrival of Alexis Sanchez from Arsenal, and they should carry too much attacking weight for Sevilla.

Mourinho will want a big trophy this season after coming off second best to City domestically. He will demand serious Champions League progress and should get it.

Manchester United's recent European record
    Season Round
    2014-15 DNQ
    2015-16 Champions League group stage, Europa League last 16
    2016-17 Europa League winners

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43000790

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 7:48 PM
  5. yinyang

yinyang Alfrescian (Inf)

6. yinyang

yinyang Alfrescian (Inf)

No 2nd bite (we hope) :rolleyes::cool:

FA Cup 5th round: Huddersfield v Man Utd (17:30 GMT)

Premier League (17th) v Premier League (Second)
    Who did they beat?
    4R: Birmingham (C) 4R: Yeovil (PL)
    3R: Bolton (C) 3R: Derby (C)

I was at this game when Huddersfield beat them in the league. They beat them comfortably and convincingly but I think Manchester United are a different side now.

FA Cup: Yeovil Town 0-4 Manchester United highlights
    Lawro's prediction: 1-2

Tekkerz Kid's prediction:
    In the last round Huddersfield ended up winning comfortably at St Andrew's against Birmingham, and Manchester United did the same at Yeovil. I think there will be goals in this game. I don't think Manchester United can afford to have another loss so I think they will put out a strong team and win.

I think Jesse Lingard will score one, Lukaku will score one and Alexis Sanchez will score two but I have no doubt Huddersfield will score. 2-4.